Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm Gonna Bite Your Head Off When I'm Done Making Love To You

Hear that couplet at the end of the song? Bellowing from a depths of a distant fjord? It's from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan. I dropped it randomly into the tune to assist the theme of sexual cannibalism.

Love is never having to say you're sorry (for biting off your soul mate's head).

I wrote this song before I knew I was making an EP. Wampum was still a baby, and so this came out while I was tiptoeing around, trying not to wake the sleeping album. It filled the temporary void of not recording ten songs in a 28-day span, which made me happy.

The idea is simple: female praying mantises, as you may know, eat the heads of their dance partners after being fertilized. It's their version of the post-coital smoke in bed. All i wanted to do was build a story around it. For once, I set out with a plan!

I took care of all the recordings pretty quickly, as usual. Meg sang the harmonies a day later, or maybe later that same day. This is the only Rick-less track on the EP.

"I'm Gonna Bite Your Head Off When I'm Done Making Love To You" represents anger and education. I dedicate this song to those on the path toward enlightenment. May you kick some fucking ass.




I'm Gonna Bite Your Head Off When I'm Done Making Love To You by easternphoebes

No comments:

Post a Comment