Thursday, June 16, 2011

Combat Missile Diploma

Pomona was the ancient Roman goddess of fruitful abundance.

Before deciding to spend the last few months recording a 5-song EP, I was going to do it in one day. That day was 4/20; "Combat Missile Diploma" was the first song I wrote and tracked. I started the recording late (early), around 2 am, thinking I'd get a jump on my challenge; the whole idea fizzled out by 3 pm, though I at least had the bulk of this song completed (and was happily floating through la la land).

Then we moved. The tune got dusty, buried deep inside one of our many boxes, packed up for the new place. I finally had Rick overdub his single-note guitar part just a few days ago, bringing new life to this stale grapefruit of a song.

This is the only Meg-less song on the EP.

I have no clue really what this song represents lyrically. To me, its very existence symbolizes frustration, mostly because it took such a long journey to become a completed composition. It embodies a sort of negativity I sometimes embrace when I'm recording music: I must emerge with something, and my stubbornness will force this lyric + this theme + this groove to work together. If I get into this mindset a song will work, dammit.

I'm happy to be done with this one, it was a pain in the ass. Are there any parents out there who are TOTALLY PSYCHED when a particular kid of theirs goes away to college (not that they don't love them and all, but whew, what a relief!)? This song is that kid. I am that parent.

It's raw because the Paw always has a wound to lick. There was originally some ambient noise mixed in there, but I cut it because it made the track sound like eelgrass.

Even this writing has zapped my energy. Sometimes the hungry end result of sunset eats the principles of dawn. You'll poop out the basic idea at some point, day or night.






Combat Missile Diploma by easternphoebes

No comments:

Post a Comment